Just writing this article might make me the black sheep of the team: After all, spending $7 on a Starbucks iced coffee isn’t a very “MoneySmart thing” to do, especially when there’s $1 kopi from the coffee shop downstairs.
But here’s the saving grace – even though I do splurge on atas coffee, I always try to get it during Starbucks promotions, so in actuality, I only pay max $3 – $4 for my drink. Today I bring to you the ultimate money-saving guide – the Starbucks Singapore edition.
- Wait for the Starbucks 1-for-1 Promotion
- Use the right credit card to pay
- Get the Starbucks card
- Redeem free cake your birthday
- Bring your own Starbucks tumbler or mug
- Order Brewed Coffee
- Split your Venti into two Talls
- Order “less ice”
Wait for the Starbucks 1-for-1 promotion
Public Service Announcement: The Starbucks 1-for-1 promotion is now on! It’s happening from Mon 23 Jul to Thu 26 Jul from 3pm to 7pm. 1-for-1 promotion is for Venti sized beverages only.
If you missed it, you might be wondering: when is the next Starbucks 1-for-1 promotion!?
Historically, Starbucks has 1-for-1 promotions almost every month. Here are some insights to help you spot the next Starbucks 1-for-1 promotion period:
- Last July, they had Starbucks 1-for-1 for all drinks and all sizes, all day! This was the best discount ever, but it hasn’t returned since 28 July 2017.
- Since January 2018, the 1-for-1 promotions have been once a month, with the closest promotion dates being 26 Feb to 2 Mar and 5 to 9 Mar. After that, the next one was on 23 to 26 April.
- It’s usually only open to Starbucks cardholders who make payment via their Starbucks rewards card (which is free, see below).
- The promotion period is usually either 3pm – 5pm or 3pm – 7pm.
- It’s usually only applicable to Venti-sized drinks, with the exception of seasonal drink launches, like the Christmas menu in 2017. (There were three 1-for-1 promotions from October to Dec 2017, and they were 3 to 7pm, for all Christmas drink sizes.)
- August and September 2017 was a crazy period, with an abnormally high number of 1-for-1 promotions (5 in 2 months!).
Use the right credit card to pay
If you don’t already have the Starbucks card (see below), you might want to check if your credit card entitles you to exclusive discounts at Starbucks. Credit card promotions change every few months, so I wouldn’t advise you sign up for any specific card just to score Starbucks discounts.
There are 2 Starbucks credit card promotions now:
|Credit card / bank||Starbucks promotion||Validity|
|Citi SMRT Card||4.7% cashback (5% if you spend above $300)||–|
|Standard Chartered credit cards (all)||$1 off with a min. spend of $5||4 Jun to 31 Jul 2018|
If you want to get your hands on them, sign up through MoneySmart for exclusive welcome promotions and vouchers:
- Up to 5% savings on on Groceries. 4.7% (For transactions above $50. If transaction is $50 and below, 2.7% awarded instead) + 0.3% (If monthly card spend is at least $300)
- Up to 5% savings on Fast Food, Movies & Coffee. 4.7% + 0.3% (if monthly card spend is at least $300)
- Up to 3% savings on Online Shopping. 2.7% + 0.3% (If monthly card spend is at least $300)
- Up to 2% savings on Health & Beauty. 1.7% + 0.3% (If monthly card spend is at least $300). Including GNC, Guardian, Nature's Farm, NTUC Unity Healthcare & Watson's
- Up to 2% EZ-Reload Auto Top-up. 0.3% + 1.7% (If top-up more than $30. If $30 or less, 0.7% awarded instead)
- Up to 5% savings for the following with monthly spend of at least $300. 5% at POPULAR Bookstores and Toys"R"Us, 5% at selected Town Councils for Service and Conservancy Charges, 1% savings on Telecommunication bills, 1% on selected Insurance providers, 1% on SPH Newspaper Subscriptions. If monthly spend is less than $300, SMRT$ earn rate will be 0.3% less.
- Savings awarded in SMRT$. 1 SMRT$ = S$1 of vouchers. Vouchers available for Giant, Sheng Siong, Popular, Watsons, Shaw Theatres
- 0.3% awarded on all other spend categories
- 3% cashback on all foreign currency spend (inclusive of the 1.5% cashback) for the 1st 3 months upon card approval
- 1.5% cashback on all other eligible spend
- No cashback cap and no minimum spend
- Doubles up as your ez-link card with the EZ-Link facility enabled on it
- 3% cashback on all online spends in foreign currency and vPost spends
- 2% cashback on all online spends in local currency, contactless and mobile payments
- 1% cashback on all other retail transactions
- $1 = 1 point
- $1 = 2 points (at least $1,000 spend per month)
- Up to 15% off total bill at over 100 participating restaurants with The Good Life®
Get the Starbucks Card
This one is for the newbies:
The Starbucks Rewards card is basically a reloadable payment card that you use to accumulate points.
The card costs $10, and has $10 loaded into it, which essentially makes it free. Once you sign up and register your account online, you unlock a 1-for-1 reward that expires in 3 months.
Each $5 spent earns you 5 stars (you can only earn in blocks of 5), and when you hit 60 stars in 12 months, you are upgraded to the Green level. From there, you get a free drink for every 60 stars (any drink and size).
If you accumulate 300 stars in 12 months, you will become a Gold member. It’s still 1 free drink per 60 stars, but you can also use the 60 stars for free food items, which typically cost more.
Redeem free cake on your birthday
Another great perk to being a Starbucks Rewards member is getting free stuff on your birthday. What you get depends on your membership level.
- Welcome level – Free drink upgrade
- Green & Gold level – Free cake with any drink purchase
Okay, so you will still need to pay for a drink, but a free slice of cake is worth about $6 to $7 so why not? You need to be a Starbucks card member to be eligible for most of the Starbucks 1-for-1 promotions anyway.
Bring your own Starbucks tumbler or mug
If you bring your own tumbler or mug, you immediately score $0.50 off your Starbucks beverage. Plus, it’s eco-friendly! Do note that this is not valid in conjunction with any other promotion.
Order brewed coffee
If you feel too broke for a latte, get a Brewed Coffee with milk ($3.80).
The cheapest way to get your caffeine fix is to order a hot Brewed Coffee with a refill. It’s not the cheapest coffee on the menu (the Espresso is $3.70), but the refill costs only $1.60. That’s $2.70 per cup!
The catch is that you cannot leave the store, and once you do, it’s not considered a refill anymore.
Split your Venti into two Talls
One Venti is about the size of 2 Tall cups, but it’s a lot cheaper. For instance, a Tall cup of hot Vanilla Latte is $6.70, but if you get a Venti ($7.80) and split it into 2 cups, it’s only $3.90 per person. If you do this for a Frappucino, you even get the whipped cream and toppings on both cups.
You might be a bit paiseh to ask, but don’t worry – many people do this, and so far all the times I did, the baristas were more than happy to oblige. I’ve also done it with my 60-star free drink redemption.
Order “Less Ice”
A drink stall is a drink stall, so if you can order less ice at the fruit juice and bubble tea shops, you can order less ice at Starbucks. Yay to more coffee!
Bonus 1: Starbucks Menu
While doing my research, I realised that I couldn’t find a Starbucks menu with its prices online, so here it is for your convenience:
|Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew||$6.70||$7.30||$7.80|
|Cold Brew with Coconut Milk||$5.70||$6.30||$6.80|
|Earl Grey Tea Latte||$6||$6.60||$7.10|
|Chai Tea Latte||$6||$6.60||$7.10|
|Hojicha Tea Latte||$6.50||$7.10||$7.60|
|Soy Green Tea Latte||$7.20||$7.60||$8.30|
|Iced Shaken Tea Lemonade||$5.50||$6.10||$6.60|
|Full-Leaf Brewed Tea||$4.50||$4.50||$5.10|
|Java Chip Frappuccino||$7||$7.90||$8.70|
|Chocolate Chip Cream Frappuccino||$7||$7.90||$8.70|
|Signature Hot Chocolate||$6.60||$7.20||$7.70|
Bonus 2: 24-hour Starbucks Stores
I also know a lot of people who get Starbucks cravings in the middle of the night, so this list of 24-hour Starbucks stores is for you:
|24-hour Starbucks Stores||Address|
|Bugis Junction||230 Victoria Street #01-106 Singapore 188024|
|Changi Airport Terminal 1 (Transit)||Departure/Transit Lounge East, #02-59 & #02-66 Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore 819642|
|Changi Airport Terminal 1 (Transit, Kiosk)||80 Airport Boulevard, #02-K10 Departure Transit Lounge West Terminal 1, Singapore 819642|
|Changi Airport Terminal 2 Departure Hall (Public)||Departure / Check-in Hall South, #026-049 Terminal 2 Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore 819643|
|Changi Airport Terminal 3 (Public)||65 Airport Boulevard #B2-34, Basement Level 2 North, Changi Airport Terminal 3, Singapore 819663|
|Changi Airport Terminal 3 Departure Hall (Public)||65 Airport Boulevard, #02-90, Departure Hall Level 2, Singapore 819663|
|Changi Airport Terminal 4 Departure Hall (Public)||Departure / Check-in Hall, #02-04 Terminal 4 Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore 819665|
|Holland Village||255 Holland Avenue Singapore 278983|
|Jurong Point||63 Jurong West Central 3 #03-52/52A Jurong Point Singapore 648331|
|Keat Hong Community Club||2 Choa Chu Kang Loop, #01-04, Singapore 689787|
|Liang Court||117 River Valley Road #01-13 Liang Court Singapore 179030|
|Liat Towers||541 Orchard Road #01-01A Liat Towers Singapore 238881|
|Northpoint||930 Yishun Ave 2 #01-07/08 Northpoint Singapore 769098|
|NUS University Town||8 College Avenue West #B1-01 (Education Resource Centre) Singapore 138608|
|Orchard Cineleisure||8 Grange Road, #01-K1 Cathay Cineleisure Orchard, Singapore 239695|
|Our Tampines Hub||1 Tampines Walk, Our Tampines Hub #01-104, Singapore 528523|
|Pacific Plaza||9 Scotts Road #01-01A Pacific Plaza Singapore 228210|
|Plaza Singapura||68 Orchard Road #01-53 Plaza Singapura Singapore 238839|
|Raffles City||252 North Bridge Road #01-46/47/48 Raffles City Shopping Centre Singapore 179103|
|Singapore General Hospital||Outram Road, Block 4, Level 1, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore 169608|
|The Cathay||2 Handy Road The Cathay #01-05 Singapore 229233|
|United Square||101 Thomson Road #01-01 United Square Singapore 307591|
What are some other ways you save money at Starbucks? Share it with us in the comments below!
Keep updated with all the news!
Get the latest personal finance tips and tricks delivered to your inbox!
We promise never to spam you!