Whether you think of the gym as a second home or a dungeon full or torture devices, one thing is for sure – the cost of membership is the biggest pain point of working out.
Seriously, “no pain, no gain” used to mean something. Now, it just means “your pain, our gain” to the big gym chain that’s charging you $150-$300 a month for basic membership. Don’t even get me started on the cost of personal training!
Thankfully, there are plenty of affordable gym options out there for you to choose from. Who knows? The right gym might actually be closer to you than you think.
Here are 3 cheap gym alternatives you should consider:
1. GYMM BOXX
GYMM BOXX is a heartlander gym rat’s dream – it has clean facilities, a great variety of premium workout equipment, and very helpful staff. In fact, this place offers what you’d expect from a big gym chain at a fraction of the price. Plus, there’s a lower percentage of “equipment” hogging here.
Another great thing about GYMM BOXX is that you don’t even need to pay for a membership. You can get your two-hour workout done for about $6 per session.
Of course, if you plan on working out regularly, it’ll be much more cost effective just to pick up a standard membership.
Oh, and you can get a 10% discount on your membership if you have a Passion Card or have a Civil Service Club (CSC) membership.
- Standard Membership – $135 (3 Months), $240 (6 Months), $420 (1 Year)
- Youth Membership (21 and under) – $120 (3 Months), $210 (6 Months), $360 (1 Year)
- Senior Membership (50 and over) – $75 (3 Months), $120 (6 Months), $180 (1 Year)
- Bedok Reservoir: 714A Bedok Reservoir Road #03-01 Singapore (471714)
- Punggol Community Club: 3 Hougang Ave 6, Punggol CC, Singapore, Singapore (538808)
- Kampong Ubi Community Club: 10 Jalan Ubi, Kampong Ubi CC Level 1: #1 Activity Room, Singapore (409075)
- Bukit Batok Civil Service Club: 91 Bukit Batok West Avenue 2 Level 5, Singapore (659206)
- Bishan Community Club: 51 Bishan St 13 #04-01/02, Bishan CC, Singapore (579799)
2. Dennis Gym
Created by former Singapore Bodybuilding Federation (SBF) coach Dennis Tew, Dennis Gym has been serving the heartlands for more than 15 years.
The core strength of this gym centers on its personal training services. However, if you know how to work out smartly without breaking bones or tearing muscles, you’ll find that this place has a great variety of premium equipment to work out your problem areas.
Again, what sets this place apart from the “vanilla” gyms on this list is its personal training and unique workout programs that include “combat group personal training” and “muscle toning & fitness group training.” As you can expect, those programs will cost you extra.
- Standard 3 Months Membership – $120
- Standard 6 Months Membership – $220
- Standard 1 Year Membership – $395
- Kallang: Geylang West Community Club, Level 2, 1205 Upper Boon Keng Rd, Singapore(387311)
- Simei: Changi Simei Community Club, #03-03,10 Simei Street 2, Singapore (529915)
- Tampines: Tampines West Community Club, 5 Tampines Ave 3, Singapore (529705)
3. ActiveSG Gym (Formerly ClubFITT)
Singapore’s largest group of public gyms, ActiveSG Gym (formerly known as ClubFITT) is by far the cheapest gym option out there. Of course, because it has that distinction, it’s also the most crowded option on the list, which means you’ll run into gym hogs and have to wait a while to use equipment.
Equipment-wise, it has all of the basic equipment you’d expect a gym to have – weights, treadmills, etc. But if you’re looking for a huge selection of specialized workout equipment, you’re not going to find it here.
Like GYMM BOXX, you don’t need to pay for a membership to use the gym on an irregular basis. In fact, you won’t pay more than MP Baey Yam Keng did for nasi padang, at $2.50 a visit (just make sure you don’t actually eat nasi padang before you work out!).
Depending on how regularly you work out, it might actually be cheaper to stick with paying per-session instead of getting the monthly membership.
- $30 per month (Adults 18-54)
- $18 per month (Students 12-17)
- $18 per month (Seniors 55+)
- 16 gym locations across Singapore (Click here to see the full list)
Keep updated with all the news!
Get the latest personal finance tips and tricks delivered to your inbox!
We promise never to spam you!