The Citibank Rewards Card is one of the more attractive credit cards in Singapore for shopaholics, offering 10X rewards points (or $1 = 4 miles) when you shop online (excluding travel-related transactions). You can use it for certain offline purchases as well.
If you’re a serious digital native who regularly takes Grab rides, orders food from online delivery services and shops online, this arrangement should sound heavenly to you because the points you get from online shopping can be converted into frequent flyer miles or… even MORE shopping vouchers!
Let’s see how attractive this card really is.
- Citibank Rewards Card: Summary
- Citibank Rewards Card Annual Fee, Minimum Income
- Citibank Rewards Card Minimum Spend
- Citibank Rewards Card Benefits
- Citibank Rewards Card Terms & Conditions
- How to maximise Citibank Rewards Card?
- Should I get Citibank Rewards Card?
- Citibank Rewards Card Promotions
1. Citibank Rewards Card: Summary
The Citibank Rewards Card has been around for quite a few years, and is one of the banks main cards for those who wish to rack up points in the Citi Rewards Programme.
The card lets you earn Citi Rewards points (which can also be exchanged for miles) when you shop online and offline, take Grab or Gojek rides or spend on online food or grocery delivery.
- Shopping and Online Spend, including Food Delivery and Groceries
- S$1= 10X Points
- Grab and Gojek
- S$1= 10X Points
- All Other Spend
- S$1 = 1 Point
Apply and Spend $500 to get a Nintendo Switch OLED (worth S$549) OR 15,000 KrisFlyer miles (worth one-way ticket to Bali) OR S$300 Cash via PayNow. PLUS stand a chance to win a ROLEX or PlayStation 5!!! T&Cs apply.
2. Citibank Rewards Card Annual Fee, Minimum Income
Just so you know what you’re getting into, here are the main terms and conditions of the Citibank Rewards Card:
|Citibank Rewards Card|
|Annual Fee Waiver||First year|
|Supplementary Card Annual Fee||$96.30 (waived for first year)|
|Interest Free Period||25 days|
|Annual Interest Rate||26.9%|
|Late Payment Fee||$100|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||1% or $50, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Currency Transaction Fee||3.25%|
|Cash Advance Transaction Fee||6% or $15, whichever is higher|
|Minimum Income||$30,000 (Singaporean/PR) / $42,000 (non-Singaporean)|
|Contactless Payment||MasterCard PayPass, Samsung Pay, Citi Pay|
3. Citibank Rewards Card Minimum Spend
As is common with reward credit cards, the Citibank Rewards Card has no minimum spending requirement, so you can use the card as little as you wish.
4. Citibank Rewards Card Benefits
The Citibank Rewards Card offers rewards points when you spend. The base earn rate is 1X point per $1 spent.
The card’s main advantage is that it offers an accelerated earn rate of 10X points (equivalent to 4 miles) per $1 on certain types of spending. In other words, you can earn 10 times the base rate.
Here’s what can spend on to get that sweet, sweet 10X point earn rate:
- Clothes, shoes and bags purchases including merchants (online and offline) classified as:
– department stores
– men’s and boy’s clothing and accessories stores
– women’s ready to wear stores
– women’s accessory and specialty stores
– children’s and infant’s wear stores
– family clothing stores
– sports and riding apparel stores
– shoe stores
– men’s and women’s clothing stores
– miscellaneous apparel and accessory shops
– luggage and leather goods stores
- Travel-related transactions, including:
– airlines, air carriers
– car rental agencies
– lodging – hotels, motels, resorts
– passenger railways
– cruise lines
– travel agencies and tour operators
– direct marketing – travel-related arrangement services
- Grab or Gojek rides
- Online food delivery
- Online grocery
When you receive the 10x reward points, you are essentially earning 1X base points and 9X bonus points. You are entitled to up to 9,000 bonus points per statement month. In other words, every statement month, you can enjoy extra 10X rewards points on a maximum of $1,000 worth of spending.
Another key benefit is that you get free travel insurance when you charge your airfare to the Citi Rewards Card.
5. Citibank Rewards Card Terms and Conditions (Exclusions)
For any spending that does not qualify for the 10X rewards points, you receive the base earn rate of 1X reward point for every $1 spent.
Most types of spending should be eligible for at least the 1X point earn rate, but there are some Citibank Rewards card exclusions which earn nothing, according to the terms and conditions:
- annual fees, interest charges, late payment charges, GST, cash advances, installment/easy/extended/equal payment plans, preferred payment plans, balance transfers, cash advances, quasi-cash transactions, fees and charges
- funds transfer
- educational institutions
- payments to government institutions and services including fines, taxes, postal services, parking
- financial institutions
- non-profit organisations
- betting or gambling
- top-ups to payment service providers, prepaid cards or prepaid accounts
- transit-related transactions
6. How do I maximise my Citibank Rewards Card?
To make the most of your card, concentrate most of your spending on categories that net you the 10X points earn rate.
But limit your expenditure to $1,000 in a statement month, as you won’t receive the 9X bonus points on more than that.
7. Should I get the Citibank Rewards Card?
If you’re someone who buys lots of clothes, whether because you’re a fashionista or because you’ve got an entire family and children to clothe, the Citibank Rewards Card can be a good card to use due to its attractive earn rate on shopping.
The card is also good for those who order food and groceries online often, or who are heavy Grab/Gojek users.
If you’re mainly using it for travel spending or as an air miles card, the 10X points (equivalent to 4 miles) for travel-related transactions is also fairly attractive compared to some of the air miles cards on the market, but it’s not the best earn rate you can get. You don’t get any bonus points for general overseas spending, so if you’re using it mainly for travel, it might be more worthwhile to just get a solid air miles card.
8. Citibank Rewards Card Promotions
Thanks to MoneySmart’s ongoing Citibank Rewards sign-up promotion (apply from our website ah…), you receive a welcome gift of $300 cash, Airpods Pro Gen 2, or Google Pixel 6A (from 1 to 6 Oct 2022).
|Rewards Credit Card||Sign-Up Promotion||Earn Rate|
|Citibank Rewards Card||Sign up with MoneySmart to get:
Airpods Pro Gen 2, or
Google Pixel 6A
(1-6 Oct 2022)
|10X points (4 miles) = $1 on shopping (online and offline), travel-related transactions, Grab and Gojek rides, online food delivery, online groceries
1X points on other spending
|OCBC Titanium Rewards Card (Pink)||–||10X points (4 miles) = $1 on eligible online and retail purchases like Apple, Shopee, H&M and more
1X rewards = $1 on other eligible purchases
2% cashback at BEST Denki
|UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card||$150 cash credit for new sign-ups when you spend at least $1,500 within 30 days||UNI$10 = $5 on mobile contactless spending, online shopping and entertainment
UNI$1 = $5 on all other spending
|HSBC Revolution Credit Card||$50 cashback for new sign ups||10X rewards points (4 miles or 2.5% cashback) on online purchases and contactless payments
1X reward point on other spend
If you didn’t manage to catch MoneySmart’s $300 cash Citi Rewards card sign-up promotion, there’s still the $150 cash credit that the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa is offering.
That said, the UOB card’s spending requirement is also much more onerous, so go for it only before you’re expecting a big purchase or high spending month
9. Alternative Rewards Credit Cards
Not convinced by the Citibank Rewards Card? Here are some alternatives to consider.
OCBC Titanium Rewards Card (Pink): 10x points (4 miles) = $1 on eligible online and retail purchases like Apple, Shopee, H&M and more, 2% cashback at BEST Denki
- on Online, Offline, Local and Overseas spend
- S$1 = 10 OCBC$
- with 18,000 OCBC$
- S$50 Titanium cash
- Rewards to Miles Conversion
- 10 OCBC$ = 4 Miles
UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card: UNI$10 = $5 on mobile contactless spending, online shopping and entertainment
- on Online Shopping, Entertainment & Contactless Payments
- S$5 = 10X UNI$
- on All Other Spend
- S$5 = 1X UNI$
- Rewards to Miles Conversion
- 1 UNI$ = 2 Miles
HSBC Revolution Credit Card: 10x rewards points (4 miles or 2.5% cashback) on online purchases and contactless payments
- S$1= 10 Points
- S$1= 4 Miles
- Min. Spend
What is your favourite credit card sign-up promotion? Share your recommendations in the comments!
7 Best Rewards Credit Cards in Singapore (2022) – Citibank, OCBC, DBS & More
Best Citibank Credit Cards in Singapore – Credit Card Reviews 2020