We’ve all got our favourite credit cards for cashback, air miles, rewards points. But sometimes, you catch yourself gazing wistfully in the distance and wondering whether there’s more to life. To all you jaded souls out there, the American Express Platinum Credit Card brings something new to the table.
This is a card that gives you up to 50% savings at more than 60 restaurants in Singapore, so you can wine and dine in style without going broke. Most of these restaurants are of the atas variety and a few are located in 5 star restaurants. Here’s a look at some of the key highlights of the card:
- Win 2 Business Class Tickets to Milan
- MoneySmart Exclusive! - Bonus S$80 worth of Grab e-Vouchers
- Love Dining @ Restaurants: 50%, 35%, 15% savings when dining with 1 friend, 2 friends, and alone respectively
- Enjoy savings at artfully curated restaurants and Singapore's finest hotels with Love Dining
- Love Dining @ Hotels: Discounts applicable for groups up to 19 pax at Raffles Hotel Singapore, Shangri-La Hotel Singapore, The St. Regis and more
- With Love Dining @ Hotels, receive a complimentary The Far Card Classic Membership
- Eligible for use with Apple Pay
Pros and Cons of the American Express Platinum Credit Card
Free Far Card Classic Membership gives you up to 50% off at eligible 5-star hotel restaurants
Love Dining programme gives you up to 50% off at more than 50 restaurants
Amex Selects gives you discounts at some other restaurants
Amex Global Dining Programme gives you discounts and freebies on even more restaurants.
Receive spa vouchers from Adeva Spa, RN Spa, Spa Rael and The Ultimate.
$40 off à la carte spa services at Adeva Spa and The Ultimate.
Enjoy discounts and offers at Auriga Spa, Willow Stream Spa and Spa at Fairmont Singapore & Sport at Swissôtel Merchant Court
Complimentary green fees with a paying companion on weekdays and two paying companions on weekends at various golf courses.
1-for-1 and complimentary drinks at some bars including The Mad Men and Ah Sam Cold Drink Stall.
Higher-than-entry-level annual income requirement of $50,000.
Annual fee of $321.
The Far Card Classic Membership
When you sign up for the American Express Platinum Credit Card, Amex gives you a The Far Card Classic Membership, which is usually sold at a price of $425. This membership gives you discounts when you dine at their partner restaurants.
To get the most out of the discount, dine in a party of two, and you’ll receive the maximum discount of 50%. If you’re in a party of three/four/five to 10, the discount falls to 33%/25%/20%. And if you’re dining all by your lonesome, you get only 10% off.
These discounts apply to restaurants at:
- Fairmont Singapore
- Swissôtel The Stamford
- Swissôtel Merchant Court
and include Equinox Restaurant, Prego and Blue Potato, to name a few.
That’s not all. Cardmembers also automatically get enrolled in Amex’s Love Dining programme, which offers up to 50% at over 50 restaurants in Singapore. This is the real gem in terms of dining discounts, and you’ll find out just why shortly.
The discount structure is the same as the Far Card’s, so dine with a friend to get the maximum discount of 50%.
Some of the restaurants on the list include:
- Lawry’s The Prime Rib
- Kinki Restaurant + Bar
- Senso Ristorante & Bar
- The Clan Restaurant
- The Marmalade Pantry
- TWG Tea
- Si Chuan Dou Hua
- The Song of India
- Praelum Wine Bistro
American Express Selects
It’s not over yet. You also get to enjoy discounts on the American Express Selects list.
These restaurants are always changing, but here’s a smattering of what’s on offer at the moment.
- 15% discount on the à la carte food menu at Au Petit Salut
- 1-for-1 main courses at Coriander Leaf Restaurant
- 20% discount on the à la carte food menu at Tung Lok Seafood
- 15% discount on the à la carte food menu at Wala Wala Café Bar
Amex Global Dining Programme
Same deal as before, except that this programme is valid not just in Singapore but in many other countries. Locally, you mostly get 20% discounts on your bill or a free appetiser. Some restaurants involved include:
- 20% discount at The Clifford Pier
- 20% discount at La Brasserie
- Complimentary bottle of wine at The Black Swan
- Complimentary appetizer at The Kitchen at Bacchanalia
- Complentary appetaizer at The White Rabbit
It doesn’t stop there. They’ve got tie-ups with a few bars that let you get a free drink or one-on-one drinks.
Here are some of the offers:
- Complimentary cocktail with any purchase at Ah Sam Cold Drink Stall
- Complimentary glass of house whisky with any purchase at The Auld Alliance
- Additional complimentary drink when you pay cover charge at 1-Altitude
Why this is a great card to use for dining
Unlike other credit cards which promise to reward you with air miles or cashback and can possibly impose on you minimum spending requirements, the American Express Platinum Credit Card is very uncomplicated to use.
You simply use it whenever you’re dining at a restaurant where you can get a big discount or freebie, and the rest of the time you’re free to use your other dining cards as you see fit. There’s no need to worry about meeting minimum spending requirements, converting rewards points into miles or whatever.
The thing is in terms of direct dining discounts, there is really no card on the market that comes close not just in terms of the discount but list of restaurants. If you’re a fan of some of the restaurants on the list, it’s worthwhile applying for the card and then pigging out at a huge discount. And this is all before everything else that we’ve mentioned above too.
What are your favourite dining credit cards? Tell us in the comments!
Keep updated with all the news!
Get the latest personal finance tips and tricks delivered to your inbox!
We promise never to spam you!
Tags: Credit Cards