Ah, the bedroom. It’s often the last bastion of privacy – assuming you don’t post naked selfies on Instagram or put nasty stuff on Vine. But assuming you do, you’ll definitely want your bedroom to look as good as it possibly can. Typically, a bedroom set could set you back thousands of dollars. Which is why, once again, our friends at Art Loft are here to help you out.
Not only is this bedroom’s look going to cost you less than $1000, but these ideas from Art Loft also provide you with a way to support Asian contemporary artists. Art Loft is an online platform that helps to curate interesting artworks while promoting them and their creators to a larger audience. This is the second of a series of articles from Art Loft about Furnishing Around Art, which encourages the use of art from the region when interior decorating.
Great interiors shouldn’t be limited by a tight budget.
Not everyone enjoys doing math, but we definitely had some fun putting together a bedroom under $1000. Working around Joanne Pang’s “Drink Some Clouds #3″, we brought together some affordable pieces of furniture and with some DIY, came up with a rather modest and Scandinavian look, plus some spare change to buy some pillows!
1. Drink Some Clouds #3, Joanne Pang, USD270
2. DIY Bed Frame
3. Nordli 4 Drawers Dresser, IKEA, USD219
4. Swing Arm Wall Sconce, CB2, USD80 x2
5. Chunky Jute Rug, CB2, USD30
6. Kings Brand Walnut Finish Floor Mirror, Amazon, USD70
7. Cement Grey Side Table, CB2, USD149
8. Modern Artistic Clear Glass Terrarium, Amazon, USD18
If you need a bit more storage space:
Stolmen 1 Section Wardrobe, IKEA, USD242
DIY Bed Frame
Bed frames are very expensive, but it’s hard not to do with one in your bedroom.
Thankfully, pallets are not expensive, in fact you might even find some for free. You can make your own simple bed frame with any number of pallets to fit your mattress! This handy trick will not only save you a good chunk of money, but you can paint the pallets to any color to fit your bedroom design.
A few pointers on collecting and using pallets:
- Avoid pallets used in grocery stores as they are prone to food spillage, which means bacteria and mould!
- Avoid pallets with oil or chemical stains.
- Look at the condition of the nails. Avoid pallets with rusty or twisted nails.
- Look for pallets with ‘HT’ stamped on it; HT stands for heat-treated, which means the wood has been “cooked” to remove moisture and kill fungi, as opposed to being fumigated. ‘HT’ pallets are better and safer.
- Wash the pallet with soap, water, and possibly even bleach, then dry it out in the sun completely.
- Sand it down to remove splinters.
Other Recommended Art
MoneySmart purchasing tips!
Many of these items are available from online catalogs. To increase your savings, pick the best credit card for online transactions that gives you rebates, or rewards you for making transactions in foreign currencies. For example, the OCBC Frank Card gives you 6% for online purchases, while the Citibank Rewards Card gives you 10 times the points for most shopping transactions.
What other tips and tricks do you have for refurnishing your bedroom on a budget? Let us know.
This article was originally published by Art Loft as http://artloftasia.com/discover/furnishing-around-art-modern-bedroom-for-under-1000/
Art Loft is a platform that features interesting Asian contemporary artists. We go beyond the artwork to share their creative process which often goes unheard. Through collaborations in both physical and virtual spaces, we hope to break down conventional barriers and encourage everyone to discover, learn and collect art.
Keep updated with all the news!
Get the latest personal finance tips and tricks delivered to your inbox!
We promise never to spam you!