Presenting the refreshed American Express — aka Amex — Platinum Credit Card. It’s a sleek, updated 2020 refresh, yet, still so immediately recognisable.
Just so you know, here’s what the card face used to look like pre-February 2020…
But no… the changes aren’t purely aesthetic. Revamped card face aside, the refreshed Amex Platinum Credit Card has exciting benefits such as exclusive experiences (this will be a big highlight when Covid-19 blows over).
And yup, the existing perks are still intact (psst… up to 50% savings on your total food bill, complimentary drinks all year round, etc). It’s sure going to help me get out of the doldrums of 2020, and live my best life despite the Covid-19 situation, while still earning membership rewards points.
Let’s go through both the refreshed and existing benefits:
Savour the best meals in town with Amex’s Love Dining programme
Without purchasing any third party 1-for-1 dining programme, with the Love Dining programme on the Amex Platinum Credit Card, you can get up to 50% discount on a meal for 2 at popular, award-winning and Michelin-starred restaurants — some helmed by famous chefs or located at 5-star hotels.
Plus you’ll be collecting those Membership Rewards points (that never expire!) to redeem rewards in the future.
Here’s a taste of some of the more popular Love Dining restaurants/hotels:
- Sen of Japan — Dishes are designed by Chef Nakano Hiromi, who used to head the famous NOBU at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas.
- Praelum Wine Bistro — Headed by Gerald Lu, two-time National Sommelier Champion and Vice-Chair of the Sommelier Association of Singapore.
- Si Chuan Dou Hua – Offers over 100 different authentic Sichuan dishes. First established in 1996, Si Chuan Dou Hua Restaurant is the pioneer of authentic Sichuan cuisine in Singapore.
- Kempinski Hotel Singapore — 15 Stamford by Michelin-Starred Chef Alvin Leung, Capitol Milk Bar, Chalerm Thai, El Teatro Tapas, Frieda, La Scala Ristorante
Source: American Express Singapore; browse the full list here.
Be seen at all the hottest bars and events with Amex’s Chillax programme
Go on, paint the town red with Amex’s Chillax programme (but do remember to wear a mask and limit your gatherings to small groups of 5 and below)!
Just like the Love Dining programme, you’ll get great promotions at nightlife spots that’ll benefit not just you but your posse. Perks include a complimentary drink, discounts and/or 1-for-1 drinks at popular bars around Singapore. And yes, there are Membership Rewards points to be earned, with no expiry date so you can take the time to redeem rewards.
If you’re like me, always on the lookout for bespoke cocktails, unique tipples and rare spirits — here are some you’ll defo want to check out:
- Ah Sam Cold Drink Stall — Tak Qiu (Milo Old Fashioned): Milo Infused Wild Turkey Bourbon – Dark Sugar – Angostura Bitters
- Anti:Dote — Pimms Cup: Pimms No. 1 – Mint & Dill Acid – Lemongrass Syrup – Prosecco
- Conrad Lobby Lounge — A must-visit for gin fans. Conrad Lobby Lounge’s Gin Experience offers guests a curated journey to create their own customised G&T.
Source: American Express Singapore; check out the full list of Chillax spots here.
Enjoy exclusive experiences with Amex’s Platinum Invite
|Disclaimer: For now, events will not take place due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation. However, when it blows over, there’ll be all of these exciting experiences and more for Amex Platinum Credit Cardmembers to look forward to.|
Psst, here’s something special we know about the Amex Platinum Credit Card. Did you know that you can snag pre-sale tickets or score invites to exclusive experiences? These are like secret surprise perks, because the info is really hush-hush and not published online.
Amex also brings some of the best and most exciting acts to Singapore, and Platinum cardmembers stand to benefit. They were first in line to get concert pre-sale tix to Andy Lau’s My Love World Tour, as well as tickets at a discount for “In Conversation with President Barack Obama”.
Other Platinum Invite events included an intimate session with ring and jewellery maker Niessing on 23 November 2019. Attendees were also treated to a styling session presented by Singaporean personality Jade Seah. Oh, and there was that HUGO’s Spring/Summer 2019 collection launch with exclusive privileges in Jewel Changi Airport.
Amex’s Membership Rewards points = benefits galore!
I bet you’ve been seeing mention of these Amex Membership Rewards points and are probably wondering how on earth you can earn some. More importantly, what’s the earn rate, and what’s available for redemption?
First things first: Amex Membership Rewards (MR) points do NOT expire. Woohoo! And there’s NO transfer fee! And did you know that your MR points can be converted to miles at the same time?
How to earn MR points
Earn Rate: 2 MR points for every S$1.60 spent
BUT you can receive up to 10MR points (instead of just 2 MR points) for every S$1.60 spent at Platinum EXTRA merchants. These include IWC Schaffhausen, Mont Blanc, Samsonite, Fred Perry, Absolute Sound and more.*The Amex Platinum Credit Card earns the same loyalty currency PLUS gives cardholders the same MR benefits and redemption options as Amex’s top-tier credit card (i.e. Amex Platinum Reserve Credit Card).Another way to earn MR points is via Amex’s Member Get Member aka MGM Referral programme — you can earn 12,000 MR points for each successful referral of The Amex Platinum Credit Card. Your friend also benefits — they’ll earn 12,000 MR points with a spend of S$2,000 in the first 3 months upon their card approval.
Don’t miss this welcome offer
From now to 30 September 2020, sign up for an Amex Platinum Credit Card to receive:
- 25,000 bonus MR points upon min. S$5,000 spend in the first 3 months
- S$150 Lazada Voucher upon annual fee payment
- Refer a friend to earn 12,000 MR points
- 6,250 MR points based on 1.25 earn rate for the S$5,000 spend
In addition, receive an illy X7.1 iperEspresso Machine (worth up to S$625) when you apply through MoneySmart. This exclusive offer is valid until 18 September 2020.
What you can redeem:
- Offset your purchases by over $200 (currently, 1,000 MR points = S$4.80, but there are always promotions so be on the lookout!)
- Redeem S$215 in online spend at selected merchants through SafeKey (currently, 1,000 MR points = S$5.00 off your card bill)
- Check out the full MR points redemption catalogue
Find out more about the American Express Platinum Credit Card here.
What do you think about the American Express Platinum Credit Card? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Amex KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card – MoneySmart Review 2020
Amex KrisFlyer Credit Card – MoneySmart Review 2022
DBS Takashimaya American Express Card – MoneySmart Review 2020