This year, Valentine’s Day falls on the day before Chinese New Year reunion dinner. While that might put a bit of a damper on the romantic vibes, you can still plan a date that will leave the apple of your eye with stars in their eyes.
But before you fall prey to restaurants’ inflated Valentine’s Day menu prices, rest assured that there are numerous credit card promotions that can take the sting out of the price tag.
Here are some ways you can celebrate Valentine’s Day at a lower cost.
Go on a romantic trip or staycation with discounted accommodation
Living with your parents doesn’t exactly create the most conducive conditions for romance. Luckily, it’s easy to book a hotel staycation online, or even escape on a romantic getaway over the weekend.
Agoda is well known for having numerous tie-ups with credit cards that can offer you a significant discount on the price of accommodation.
This Valentine’s Day, when you book your stay with an HSBC credit card, you get up to 8% off on stays in hotels located in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia, and 5% off hotel bookings in other destinations.
So whether you prefer a lavish Valentine’s Day staycation in a local five star hotel or are would rather escape on a getaway to Phuket or Bali, you’ll get to shave quite a bit off your bill.
Buy your squeeze a nice gift
We’re not saying you should try to buy anyone’s love, but if like many couples you want to impress your partner with a nice gift on Valentine’s Day, don’t whip out just any credit card—make sure you use one that gets you a discount on the your online shopping.
When you shop on Lazada.sg with a Maybank credit card, you get $12 off when you spend at least $80 using their promo code. Considering you can get virtually any product on Lazada, from clothes to household appliances, you’ll probably be able to find something your partner will like on the site.
- Cashback on Groceries, Dining & Food Delivery and Transport globally
- Up to 8%
- Cashback on Data Communications, Online TV Streaming, Pets and Retail globally
- Up to 8%
- Cash Rebate Cap per month
Trying to buy a gift for a fashionista? Use an American Express card to shop at Zalora this Valentine’s day and get 20% off when you spend at least $120.
If your honeybunny/lovebug is more into designer handbags, use an OCBC credit card to shop at Reebonz and take an additional 15% off sale items. OCBC cardholders also get $5 off $50 spent using the ShopperBoard app, and $38 off when spending at least $280 at Robinsons.
Go out to a nice restaurant
Celebrating Valentine’s Day without having a good meal is, in the eyes of some people, criminal. The problem is, many credit card restaurant promotions aren’t valid on Valentine’s Day.
But if you’re a Citibank cardholder, you’re in luck, as many of their dining promotions will be valid on the 14th of February.
- Cash Back on Dining, Groceries & Petrol
- Up to 8%
- Cash Back Cap per category, per month
- Min. Spend per month
Apple Watch SE (worth S$419) or $350 cash via PayNow - get either for free when you apply for a Citi Credit Card today! Simply make a minimum spend of $200 within 30 days of the account being opened!
When you pay your bill using a Citibank credit card, you enjoy the following discounts:
- Shave 10% off your total bill at the legendary CUT by Wolfang Puck when you spend at least $350.
- Enjoy 5% off when you spend $50 at Leopold Gastrobar and make your reservation via HungryGoWhere.
- Receive a $5 return voucher when you spend at least $50 at Dutch Baby Cafe
- At Hokai Villa, an authentic Japanese restaurant with great reviews, enjoy 15% off à la carte items when you make your reservation on HungryGoWhere.
- Enjoy French casual dining at The French Table, where you get 10% off when you spend at least $30 and make your booking via HungryGoWhere.
- Satisfy that rainbow cake craving at 2Six Cafe, where you enjoy 10% off your bill on the à la carte menu when you make your booking on HungryGoWhere.
How are you spending Valentine’s Day? Share your plans in the comments!