Deliveroo riders whizzing around on their motorbikes, bicycles and (until recently, RIP) PMDs are now a familiar sight on Singapore streets.
The London-based company was founded in 2013 and arrived in Singapore in 2015. Fast forward by 5 years, we can’t imagine how people managed to not starve to death without it.
It is now among the “big three” food delivery apps in Singapore, and is considered a “premium option” that is slightly more expensive than the other two (GrabFood and Foodpanda), with higher end eateries on offer.
Here’s all you need to know about Deliveroo, its delivery fees, subscription plans and more.
Deliveroo Singapore Guide (2020)
|Deliveroo Singapore Guide (2020)|
|Delivery fees||$3 to $5 (dynamic pricing) + $0.20 service fee|
|Small order fee||$5 on orders under $10|
|Deliveroo Plus subscription||$14.90 month for unlimited free delivery (service fee may apply for orders under $10)|
|Restaurant selection||From fast food to upper mid range|
Deliveroo food delivery restaurants
Deliveroo’s offerings range from fastfood and local eateries to upper mid range restaurants. Compared to, say, Foodpanda, you are more likely to find artisanal wood fired pizza than McDonald’s on the list of offerings. That being said, they do have zi char / nasi padang type offerings, especially in suburban areas.
Here are some restaurants available in various zones.
- CBD – Hungry office workers who are too busy or lazy to leave their desks can choose from a range of eateries located in the CBD, from affordable local dishes to more atas selections. Popular options include Ippudo Ramen, Subway, Wine Connection Cheese Bar, PS Cafe, and Spizza.
- Bishan – Residents in this bustling area can turn to Deliveroo to avoid the crowds. The selection of restaurants covers Bishan as well as neighbouring areas like Ang Mo Kio. Some options include Peperoni Pizzeria, Beach Road Scissor Cut Curry Rice, Fatboy’s, Tom Yum Mama and Khansama Tandoori Restaurant.
- Punggol – This quiet residential area suffers from a dearth of hawker centres, especially for those who live close to the areas still undergoing construction. So it’s no wonder residents rely on Deliveroo. Options include Srisun Prata, Kimly Dim Sum, Black Bento and Soi Thai Soi Nice.
Deliveroo food delivery fees
Like GrabFood, Deliveroo now charges its delivery fees according to a dynamic pricing model. In general, you can expect to pay between $3 to $5 worth of delivery charges depending on factors such as how busy their delivery personnel are and distance.
They also make you pay a small order fee of up to $5 if your order is worth less than $10. Personally, I think this isn’t a big deal because it doesn’t make sense to pay $3 to $5 in delivery fees for $3 bubble tea anyway.
Deliveroo Plus subscription plan ($14.90 monthly)
Unlike GrabFood who seems to no longer offer subscription plans during the circuit breaker period, Deliveroo has a $14.90 monthly plan for fans. The website says it’s subject to availability, but when I checked (13 April 2020), I could still sign up.
For frequent Deliveroo users, the Deliveroo Plus subscription plan can result in quite decent cost savings as it only takes 3 to 5 orders per month to make the subscription worthwhile.
For $14.90 a month, you get:
- Free delivery (although a service fee might apply for orders under $10)
- Extra discounts and offers exclusive to Plus members
Not sure if you want to take the plunge? You are entitled to a free 7-day trial.
Deliveroo Editions and Food Market
Not content with being just a food delivery company, Deliveroo’s Deliveroo Editions now lets you dine-in.
How it works is that a curated mix of restaurant operators accept orders at one of the Deliveroo Editions dining halls. They do not need to pay rent, but instead pay Deliveroo a percentage of their sales.
Customers can order from these restaurants at the Deliveroo Editions location, and the food is then prepared at the dining hall’s centralised kitchens. The food is delivered to a cubby hole (in disposable containers and with disposable cutlery) and picked up by the customer. Customers can choose to dine-in or take the food home with them.
Singapore customers can order food in this way at three locations — One North, Katong and Lavender.
At their One North outlet at Alice@Mediapolis, customers have the option of dining in at their 40-seater dining hall, Deliveroo Food Market, their biggest dining space yet.
Here are the Delivery Editions locations:
- 332 Tanjong Katong Rd, Singapore 437107
- 114 Lavender St #01-15 CT Hub 2 Singapore, Singapore 338729
- 29 Media Circle #01-02/03 Alice@Mediapolis Singapore
The question is: is it really worth it making a trip to a Delivery Editions outlet to dine using disposable cutlery when you could just sit down at a regular restaurant?
Deliveroo promo codes and discounts (2020)
Try your luck with these promo codes:
- HSBCNEW20 – HSBC cardholders and new customers get 50% off their first three orders (capped at $6) of at least $12. All 3 orders must be made within 21 days. Valid till 31 Dec 2020.
- HSBCFEB20 – Existing customers get $5 off on orders of at least $25. Valid till 31 Dec 2020 and limited to first 1,500 customers per month.
- CITINEW2020 – Get $4 off your first 3 orders of at least $12. Valid till 30 Jun 2020.
Bonus: best credit cards for Deliveroo food delivery
Credit cards usually classify Deliveroo (and food delivery in general) as dining. To maximise your savings, pay using a credit card that rewards you for food delivery and/or dining, such as the following:
Citi Cash Back Card – 8% cash back on dining when you spend at least $888 in a statement month
- Cash Back on Dining, including delivery from FoodPanda & Deliveroo
- Up to 6%
- Total Cash Back Cap, per month
- Min. Spend to unlock to 6% Cashback
[6 Weeks Faster Gift Redemption* | SmartRewards | Your Points, Your Choice ]
Apply and spend a min. of S$500 in "Qualifying Spends" within 30 days from the card approval date and enjoy the ultimate flexibility to CHOOSE ANY GIFT at our Rewards Store, including:
1. Apple iPad Wi-Fi 9th Generation, 64GB (5,040 SmartPoints)
2. Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones (4,990 SmartPoints)
3. Nintendo Switch OLED (5,000 SmartPoints)
OR any other combination of gifts available in the Rewards Store, by earning 5,100 SmartPoints.
Alternatively, you can also choose S$300 Cash via PayNow. T&Cs apply
PLUS, stand a chance to win a Panerai Radomir Quaranta Timepiece (worth S$8,700) OR 16,490 SmartPoints (worth an iPhone 15 Pro, 128GB in the Rewards Store) OR 5,990 SmartPoints (worth an Apple Watch Series 9 (GPS), 41mm in our Rewards Store) when you apply through MoneySmart. T&Cs apply. Check out our past Lucky Draw winners here.
UOB YOLO Card – 8% cashback on weekend dining and 3% cashback on weekday dining when you spend at least $600 in a statement month.
OCBC 365 Card – 6% cashback on online food delivery when you spend at least $800 in a statement month.
- Cashback on Everyday Dining (Including Local, Overseas and Online Food Delivery)
- with min. spend of $1,600 per month
- Unlock up to $160 Cashback
- with min. spend of $800 per month
- $80 Cashback per month
Get a Hinomi Q1 Ergonomic Chair (worth S$499) OR a Apple AirPods 3rd Gen (worth S$261.40) OR S$280 Amazon SG Gift Card OR S$250 Cash via PayNow when you apply and spend a min. of S$500 in Qualifying Spend within 30 days of card approval. T&Cs apply.
PLUS, stand a chance to win a Panerai Radomir Quaranta Timepiece (worth S$8,700) OR 16,490 SmartPoints (worth an iPhone 15 Pro, 128GB in the Rewards Store) OR 5,990 SmartPoints (worth an Apple Watch Series 9 (GPS), 41mm in our Rewards Store) when you apply through MoneySmart! T&Cs apply. Check out our past Lucky Draw winners here.
For more recommendations, check out this article: 10 Best Credit Cards for Dining in Singapore — Miles, Cashback, Buffet Promotions & More
Have you had any interesting experiences using Deliveroo? Share them in the comments!