Singapore may be a tiny island, but in our minds, we would probably estimate that we contribute significantly on a daily basis to depleting the Earth’s oil reserves. With the prices of cars already at a level that would shock a comatose person into life, Singaporeans feel the need to justify the price by working their cars like field horses. Except petrol ain’t cheap, so here are the cards that will help save you some money on that at least:
The following credit cards are rated primarily on petrol discounts. Beyond that, they’re rated based on side benefits (such as dining or shopping).
1. HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card
Stations: Caltex, Shell
The HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card is one of the heavyweights on this list when it comes to significant savings for petrol. It offers a maximum rebate of 5% on your petrol spend, which is extremely handy in avoiding a situation where you’re driving all over the place just to find one particular petrol station.
If you’re looking for a great family card to use for household expenses, this card has some great promotions targeted at families with kids, especially with a whole bunch of offers at Resorts World Sentosa including free admission for kids to various attractions. Some other key benefits for the card include:
- Up to 16% instant discount at all Caltex stations (including 2% discount for outdoor payment terminal)
- 14% instant discount at all Shell stations
- Up to 5% cash rebate on grocery spend
- 5% cash rebate for recurring telco bill payment
- 2 year annual fee waiver
The HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card offers a maximum of 5% cash rebates for petrol with a minimum spend of $800 for all 3 months in a quarter, and 3% cash rebate for a minimum spend of $400 per month in the same period.
Apart from petrol, the card also offers cash rebates on grocery shopping and dining under their Quarterly Cash Rebates Programme, making it a very good all purpose card to have for the family.
If you are interested in the HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card, you can apply here.
2. Citi Cash Back Card
Stations: Esso, Shell
The Citi Cash Back Card, formerly known as the Citi DIVIDEND Card, is the big boss of the Citibank suite of credit cards. Just one part of its big advantage over the other Citi cards is its additional 8% Citi cash rebate that it provides on top of the existing cash rebates across all Citi cards.
Just like the HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card, this card also provides discounts at two different petrol stations, Esso and Shell. Some of the advantages of the card are:
- 20.88% discount at Esso stations (Site discount + Smiles Card + Citi cards discount) and 8% Citi cash back.
- 20.8% discount at Shell stations (Site discount + Escape Card) and a 4% Citi rebate after the Shell discount, together with a 8% Citi cash back.
- 8% rebate on all dining, grocery and all other petrol stations worldwide
- Up to $1 million travel insurance coverage
Apart from these card features, Citibank is currently running a Citi Drivers’ Privilege promo, which has these other two benefits as well, on top of the current petrol discounts:
1. Link EZ-Pay to your Citi Credit Card and get up to S$20 cash credit on Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) charges
- Valid from 16 Aug to 31 Oct 2016
- Only applicable for first 5,000 customers
- SMS <CITIEPAY> to 72484 using mobile number which is registered with Citibank
- Capped at S$20
- Cash credit will be credited to account within 3 months from the end of Promotion Period
- Valid from 1 Jul 2016 to 31 Dec 2016 (both dates inclusive)
- Applicable only for SmartDrive insurance quotations requested via www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/insurance/smart_drive.htm
- SmartDrive insurance policy must be accepted during Promotion Period
- 20% discount applied on Gross Premium amount upon enrolment
- Redemption letter sent within 3 months from end of Promotion Period
- Only for new Policy sign ups, not applicable for existing AXA policy holder, or if car is a Honda, Hyundai or Chevrolet under 3 years old or a Volkswagen under 10 years
If you are interested in the Citi Cash Back Card, you can apply here.
3. OCBC 365 Credit Card
Stations: Esso, Caltex
The OCBC 365 Credit Card has certainly taken the cashback credit card market by storm, and with a whole slew of specific cashback offers, its popularity is no surprise. Petrol offers are one of the many cashback categories, and its certainly going to give cards like the Citi DIVIDEND card a run for its money.
Some advantages of the card are:
- Fuel savings of 18.3% at Esso and Caltex stations which comprise a 14% station discount (together with station loyalty card) and a 5% cashback on nett petrol spend.
- 6% cashback on weekend dining spend and 3% weekday dining spend
With a decent cashback cap at $80 per month, and a monthly minimum spend of only $600 required, using this card for your lifestyle needs can yield big savings, especially if you are using this as your credit card to get petrol discounts and rebates. The beauty of the card is not just in its rebates, but if you’ve recently signed up for the OCBC 360 account, the spend on your card also contributes to helping you accrue bonus interest on the money in that account as well.
If you are interested in the OCBC 365 Credit Card, you can apply here.
Notable Mention – MANHATTAN World MasterCard Credit Card
It would be remiss of us to leave this card out. From now till 28 Feb 2017, the Standard Chartered MANHATTAN World MasterCard Credit Card allows you to enjoy up to 26.6% savings (which includes the cashback you get from the card) at Caltex stations with a monthly minimum spend of $600. The discount consists of a 14% upfront discount and 11.70% rebate on the nett transacted amount, as well as the 3% cashback from overall spend. For all other SCB cards, you will still enjoy up to 24% in savings with the first two mentioned discounts, similarly with a monthly minimum spend of $600.
That’s pretty impressive. Do note, however, that to maximise the cashback rebate of 3%, you will need to spend $3,000 a month on the card consistently. Here are some other key features the card has added:
- Dining: Get up to 15% off total bill at over 100 participating restaurants. Plus receive 6% cashback on weekday dining spends and a $10 GrabCar promo code for your ride home.
- Travel: Get 8% off your total booking on Roomorama with no minimum spend.
The MANHATTAN World MasterCard Credit Card has been flying under the radar for awhile now, but this petrol promotion certainly turns the heat up on some of the other petrol cards out there, and if you are able to hit the monthly spend to reach the maximum cashback tier, 3% cashback ain’t too shabby either.
If you are interested in the MANHATTAN World MasterCard Credit Card, you can apply here.
There are plenty of other cards that give petrol discounts, and its also important to find a card that suits any other lifestyle needs you may have. If you are looking for other benefits as well, you can always head on down to MoneySmart’s Credit Cards section and compare various cards to see which fits you best.
What’s your favourite card for petrol? Comment and let us know!