Singapore may be a tiny island, but it is precisely because of this that we need to keep our roads free from becoming like those of Bangkok. But with sky-high COEs and car prices that even Vin Diesel can’t ever comprehend, Singaporeans tend to do the exact opposite.
Can’t blame us right? Already pay so much for car liao, somemore not say value will increase, sure must drive until you get your money’s worth mah. But don’t forget: the more we drive the more we need to top-up petrol and their high prices are only getting higher. So before you feel like a bodoh peh kambing, here are the best cards that will help save you some money on expensive Singapore petrol:
Best for instant discounts – DBS Esso Card
- Get up to S$120 Fuel Savings
- 17% instant discount at Esso (5% site discount + 5% Smiles card discount + 7% card discount)
- Free fuel when you convert your shopping, dining and other card spend into Smiles Points
- S$10 charged outside of Esso = 1 Smiles Point
- S$30 fuel voucher = 750 Smiles Points
- Enjoy S$120 fuel savings when you spend S$200 nett on Esso fuel per month for 3 consecutive months from date of approval from now to 31 Oct 2017
The DBS Esso card is back with a huge bang. How huge? Well, how about 17% discount kind of huge. Let’s also take a minute to rejoice at the fact that the card looks way better now than it used to.
Besides a high upfront discount of 17% discount, this card has quite the comprehensive rewards points system for fuel redemption. Basically it allows you to convert your miscellaneous expenditure (of course you need to use your card for them) to Smiles points. The only downer (which isn’t really that big a deal) in this card is that it only applies to Esso stations, but you can’t get the best of everything. Esso then Esso it is lah hor. I mean, they do have one of the most petrol stations around the island.
Every litre of Synergy fuel purchased from Esso gets you 1 Smiles point. If you don’t like synergy fuel, every $10 charged on whatever else you please (other fuel brands, bag, that dog in the pet shop) equates to 1 Smiles point.
When you’re done collecting your Smiles points, you can redeem your points for fuel discounts, with a minimum redemption of 300 points for $10 of fuel. If you have enough points, you can redeem $30 of fuel for 750 Smiles points, and if you’re the sort who loves collecting tons of points, you can make multiple redemptions in one transaction in $30 tranches.
Sign Up Promo: The DBS Esso Card is also running a limited sign up promotion: if you spend $200 per month for 3 consecutive months, you get $30 cashback. Based on a nett fuel spend of $200 per month for 3 months, your total effective savings works out to 21.1%, which is the highest total savings for Esso at the moment. Probably a good enough reason to sign up for this card now!
If you are interested in the DBS Esso Card, you can apply here.
Best for total savings – UOB One Card
- At SPC Stations, up to 24% savings on fuel purchases
- At Shell Stations, up to 20.8% savings on fuel purchases
If your monthly spending exceeds the $2,000 mark, the UOB One Card can give you the highest discounts in terms of total savings.
For Shell petrol users, you’ll get an additional 5% UOB One Card rebate on top of the 7% SMART$ rebate and a 10% site and petrol card discount. SMART$ rebates can be used to offset your next petrol purchase while the 5% UOB One Card rebate is conditional with a minimum spend of $2000, but if your spending allows… That’s 20.8% in total savings.
This card also gives you really high savings with SPC. Besides the upfront discount of 15% and a 5% UOB One Card rebate, you get an additional instant $3 off every $51 spent. Of course, as with all things, you’ll have to be a SPC&U card member to enjoy the full 15% discount. But if you do, that’ll total up to a really high 24% in savings altogether.
If you are interested in the UOB One Card, you can apply here.
Best for other benefits – Citi Cash Back Card
- MoneySmart Exclusive! - Bonus S$100 Qoo10 Voucher
- Get S$120 Cashback
- Up to 20.88% discount at Esso Stations: 5% Esso site discount + 5% Smiles card discount + 4% Citi Card discount + 8% Citi Cash Back Card cash back* (applies after Esso discount)
- Up to 20.88% discount at Shell stations: 5% Shell site discount + 5% Shell Escape discount + 4% Citi Card discount + 8% Citi Cash Back Card cash back* (applies after Shell discount)
- *Additional 8% cash back on petrol worldwide applies with a minimum spend of S$888/statement month on the Citi Cash Back Card, 8% cash back capped at S$25 per category (Dining, Grab rides, Groceries, Petrol). For spend less than S$888 and/or other spend, 0.25% cash back is awarded, no cap on 0.25% cash back earned
Just like the UOB One Card, the Citi Cash Back Card also provides discounts at two different petrol stations, except this time it’s Esso and Shell.
One big advantage this card has over the other Citi cards is its additional 8% Citi cash rebate provided on top of existing cash rebates across all Citi cards. Which totals up to a 20.88% savings for both brands. It also offers an 8% discount for other petrol stations, which is extremely handy in avoiding a situation where you’re driving all over the place just to find one particular petrol station.
This card also gives you other benefits like an 8% rebate on all your dining and grocery spend. If you’re a new Citi card applicant, you’ll also get $120 cashback if you spend a super achievable $200 a month. Which is a sweet deal if you ask me.
Besides these petrol benefits, Citibank is also currently running other promotions such as a 20% cashback offer on all Grab rides. If you are interested in the Citi Cash Back Card, you can apply here.
Notable mention- HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card
- MoneySmart Exclusive! - Delsey Helium Aero 71cm TSA Luggage worth S$529 + Up to S$40 Cashback
- Up to 20.2% in savings at Shell and Caltex stations
- 16% instant discount Caltex stations (5% site discount + 9% HSBC card discount + 2% outdoor fuel payment discount* + 3% or 5% cash rebate)
- Valid till 31 Dec 2017
- 16% instant discount at Shell stations (5% site discount + 5% Shell Escape discount + 6% HSBC card discount)
- 3% or 5% in cash rebates (min. spend $400 or $800/month respectively for all 3 months)
- *Outdoor Fuel Payment discount valid till 30 Jun 2017
The HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card is another heavyweight on our list when it comes to significant savings for petrol. Besides the instant discounts of 16% at Shell and Caltex (you’ll have to pay outdoors), it offers a maximum rebate of up to 5% on your petrol spend if you spend a min. of $800 a month. And with the exception of your debts, that $800 can be spent on basically anything local or overseas. That’s a pretty easy target to hit for a total of 20.2% in savings.
In addition to their heavy petrol benefits, this card is also great for household expenses, with up to 5% cash rebates on groceries and recurring telco bill payments. You also get a 2 year annual fee waiver.
If you are interested in the HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card, you can apply here to get a MoneySmart exclusive sign up gift of up to $40 cash back and a free Delsey Helium Aero 71cm TSA luggage (worth $529).
There are plenty of other cards that give petrol discounts, and it’s also important to find a card that suits any other lifestyle needs you may have. If you are looking for other benefits as well, you can always head on down to MoneySmart’s Credit Cards section and compare various cards to see which fits you best.
What’s your favourite card for petrol? Comment and let us know!