With travel season just round the corner, banks are starting to aggressively step up their drive to get more sign ups for air miles credit cards. Sign up bonuses were a lot more tame in the last two quarters but these cards provide quite a compelling reason for you to get one if you’re planning to spend ahead of the holiday season.
If you’re trying to accrue miles for a nice holiday at the end of the year, these sign up bonuses can go a long way to helping you get there faster:
1. Citi PremierMiles Visa Card
- Earn up to 42,000 Citi Miles when you apply and spend, T&Cs apply
- S$1 = 1.2 Citi Miles (Local spend)
- S$1 = 2 Citi Miles (Overseas spend)
- Earn up to 10 Citi Miles for every S$1 spent on online travel bookings
- Citi Miles never expire
- Priority Pass™ membership gives you access to more than 600 airport lounges
- Complimentary Travel Accident Insurance up to S$1,000,000 coverage, Medical Assistance Programme and Travel Inconvenience Coverage
- Receive 10,000 Citi Miles upon membership renewal and payment of annual fee
- 1 Citi Mile = 1 Mile with over 60 popular airlines like KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Enrich, Qantas, Qatar
This card offers one of the more generous freebies out there. You get up to 42,000 Citi Miles when you apply and manage to spend the requisite amount.
Here’s how it works: So long as you use your card within the first 3 months, you get 15,000 miles. If you manage to spend $10,000 within the first 3 months, you get an additional 15,000 miles. If this $10,000 was spent locally, you get an additional 12,000 miles, since you’re supposed to get 1.2 miles per S$1 anyway. Do note that this promotion is only for new Citibank card members.
If you’re an existing Citibank card holder, you’ll have to pay the annual fee of $192.60, otherwise the fee gets waived for a year.
2. American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card
- Welcome Bonus of 5,000 KrisFlyer Miles
- Online Exclusive - Get a free 12-month subscription of Starhub Go Select (worth S$118.80)
- Win 2 Business Class Tickets to Male (Maldives)
- Get 15,000 bonus KrisFlyer miles
- 1.2 KrisFlyer Miles = S$1
- 2 KrisFlyer Miles = S$1 in foreign currency spent overseas on eligible purchases in June & Dec
- Spend above S$15,000 on eligible purchases on singaporeair.com within first 12 months of Card approval and get upgraded to KrisFlyer Elite Gold Membership
- Four complimentary lounge access to participating SATS Premier and Plaza Premium Lounge each year
- Complimentary night's stay each year at one of over 90 participating Millennium Hotels and Resorts properties worldwide
- Up to $1 million travel insurance coverage
If you’re a KrisFlyer member, it’s a good idea to sign up for this card, since you get a bonus of 5,000 KrisFlyer miles the minute you make your first transaction with the card. If you spend $6,000 in the first 3 months upon card approval, you receive an additional 15,000 Krisflyer miles. This sign-up promotion ends 30th June 2017.
Get your card is approved before 15th July 2017 and you’re also entitled to a complimentary 12-month subscription to Starhub Go Select’s video streaming service. This gives you unlimited access to thousands of television series and movies, from K-dramas to TVB dramas to HBO Originals. Plus, if you’re a Starhub Mobile subscriber, you can stream all this content without a dent to your data usage. Certainly makes the pain of getting a flight delayed way less painful.
If you ride with Grab, just make this card your default means of payment on the app and you’ll get 500 miles after you charge your first ride to the card. All things considered, that’s a really low hoop to jump through just to get those miles. This Grab promotion ends 31 December 2017.
And if all that’s not enough goodies, every $50 spent on American Express Cards (except corporate cards and those issued by DBS, UOB and Citibank) now increases your chances in a year-long lucky draw to win a pair of Business Class tickets to 12 popular destinations worldwide. Applying for a new KrisFlyer Ascend Card gives you 20 chances in the lucky draw! More details on this 12 Month Lucky Draw.
If you are interested to know more about the American Express Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Ascend Card, click to apply here.
3. HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card
- $1 = Up to 1.25 air miles (Local)
- $1 = Up to 2.25 air miles (Overseas)
- Complimentary worldwide travel insurance coverage of up to US$2,000,000 (annual value worth S$988)
- Unlimited access to 700 VIP airport lounges globally
- Complimentary limousine transfer
- Complimentary expedited immigration clearance at key airports in Asia
No hoops to jump through for this card – you just need to sign up for it and you get 35,000 miles – free.
Well, there is one catch – the income requirement is $120,000 a year, or maintaining a fixed deposit account with at least $30,000 with HSBC.
But that’s really a small price to pay for the unlimited airport lounge access, complimentary limousine transfer and expedited immigration clearance at key airports in Asia.