With travel season just round the corner, banks are starting to aggressively step up their drive to get more sign ups for air miles credit cards. Sign up bonuses were a lot more tame in the last two quarters but these cards provide quite a compelling reason for you to get one if you’re planning to spend ahead of the holiday season.
If you’re trying to accrue miles for a nice holiday at the end of the year, these sign up bonuses can go a long way to helping you get there faster:
1. American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card
- Apply through MoneySmart from 22 Mar - 19 Apr 2018 to get S$100 worth of Grab OR NTUC Vouchers. Application must be approved by 3 May 2018. Submit your (i)Contact Details and (ii)14-digit Reference Number on the Thank You Page upon completion at this link before 19 April 2018. T&Cs
- 1.2 KrisFlyer Miles = S$1
- 2 KrisFlyer Miles = S$1 in foreign currency spent overseas on eligible purchases in June & Dec
- 3.2 KrisFlyer Miles = S$1 for Grab and Uber rides, capped at S$200 per month
- Spend above S$15,000 on eligible purchases on singaporeair.com within first 12 months of Card approval and get upgraded to KrisFlyer Elite Gold Membership
- Four complimentary lounge access to participating SATS Premier and Plaza Premium Lounge each year
- Complimentary night's stay each year at one of over 90 participating Millennium Hotels and Resorts properties worldwide
- Up to $1 million travel insurance coverage
If you’re a KrisFlyer member, it’s a good idea to sign up for this card, since you get a bonus of 5,000 KrisFlyer miles the minute you make your first transaction with the card. If you spend $6,000 in the first 3 months upon card approval, you receive an additional 15,000 Krisflyer miles. This sign-up promotion has been extended to 30th Sept 2017. On top of that, from now till 30 Sept 2017, spend an additional $4,000 in 3 months and get a swanky Samsonite Luggage case as well.
Sign up bonuses aside, Amex is also running a Supplementary Cards offer, awarding 1,500 miles for every card applied. Their Member Get Member (MGM) program also gets you 2,000 miles if you refer a friend, so this all adds up to a significant number of miles that don’t require you to spend more money, especially with a first year fee waiver for supplementary cards.
If you ride with Grab, just make this card your default means of payment on the app and you’ll get 500 miles after you charge your first ride to the card. All things considered, that’s a really low hoop to jump through just to get those miles. This Grab promotion ends 31 December 2017.
And if all that’s not enough goodies, every $50 spent on American Express Cards (except corporate cards and those issued by DBS, UOB and Citibank) now increases your chances in a year-long lucky draw to win a pair of Business Class tickets to 12 popular destinations worldwide. Applying for a new KrisFlyer Ascend Card gives you 20 chances in the lucky draw! More details on this 12 Month Lucky Draw.
If you are interested in the American Express Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Ascend Card, click to apply here.
Also, if you aren’t planning to spend that much within the first 3 months, you can still benefit from bonus miles, with their American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card offering 7,500 miles on top of the 5,000 Welcome Bonus miles with a $2,500 spend within the first 3 months. You can easily apply for that here.
2. Citi PremierMiles Visa Card
- S$1 = 1.2 Citi Miles (Local spend)
- S$1 = 2 Citi Miles (Overseas spend)
- Earn up to 7 Citi Miles per S$1 spent on Agoda.com/bonusmiles and 3 Citi Miles per S$1 spent on expedia.com.sg/bonusrewards
- Citi Miles never expire
- Priority Pass™ membership gives you access to more than 600 airport lounges twice a year
- Receive 10,000 Citi Miles upon membership renewal and payment of annual fee
- Complimentary Travel Accident Insurance up to S$1,000,000 coverage, Medical Assistance Programme and Travel Inconvenience Coverage
This card offers one of the more generous freebies out there. You get up to 42,000 Citi Miles when you apply and manage to spend the requisite amount.
Here’s how it works: So long as you use your card within the first 3 months, you get 15,000 miles. If you manage to spend $10,000 within the first 3 months, you get an additional 15,000 miles. If this $10,000 was spent locally, you get an additional 12,000 miles, since you’re supposed to get 1.2 miles per S$1 anyway. Do note that this promotion is only for new Citibank card members.
If you’re having some issues hitting that $10,000 spend within the first 3 months, consider a service like CardUp that allows you to pay for things like rent, condo fees, school fees and more. These are things that you might already be paying but haven’t been able to use your credit card to pay for. Well, now you can.
If you’re an existing Citibank card holder, you’ll have to pay the annual fee of $192.60, otherwise the fee gets waived for a year.
3. HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card
- $1 = Up to 1.25 air miles (Local)
- $1 = Up to 2.25 air miles (Overseas)
- Priority Pass™ Membership card will be automatically issued to the primary Cardholder and the supplementary Cardholder(s) - Unlimited access to over 700 VIP airport lounges worldwide
- Access to HSBC’s Infinite Travel & Lifestyle Concierge service for personalised assistance, 24/7
- Automatic travel insurance coverage of up to US$2,000,000 (annual value worth S$988)
- Complimentary limousine transfer and expedited immigration clearance at key airports in Asia
No hoops to jump through for this card – you just need to sign up for it and you get 35,000 miles – free.
Well, there is one catch – the income requirement is $120,000 a year, or maintaining a fixed deposit account with at least $30,000 with HSBC.
But that’s really a small price to pay for the unlimited airport lounge access, complimentary limousine transfer and expedited immigration clearance at key airports in Asia.
Keep updated with all the news!
Get the latest personal finance tips and tricks delivered to your inbox!
We promise never to spam you!