In the past, HSBC credit cards had the most credit card discounts at Shell. Fortunately for those of us who can’t afford $200,000 in deposits, investments and/or insurance, these days, although the HSBC Visa Platinum still remains one of the top, other banks’ cards are catching up. Here’s our breakdown:
|HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card||UOB One Card||Citi Cash Back Card|
|Loyalty Card Discount||5%||5%||5%|
(applies after all discounts)
(min. $800 spend/month)
5% UOB One Card rebate
Best for instant savings
HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card
- Option 1: American Tourister Caravan 70cm TSA luggage (worth S$260)
- Option 2: S$100 Cash Back
- Up to 20.2% in savings at Shell and Caltex stations
- 16% instant discount Caltex stations (5% site discount + 9% HSBC card discount + 2% outdoor fuel payment discount + 3% or 5% cash rebate)
- Valid till 31 Dec 2017
- 16% instant discount at Shell stations (5% site discount + 5% Shell Escape discount + 6% HSBC card discount)
- 3% or 5% in cash rebates (min. spend $400 or $800/month respectively for all 3 months)
If your monthly expenses exceed $800 (which is honestly not a difficult benchmark to hit considering our monthly expenses), this might be the card for you. Although the HSBC Visa Platinum loses out to the other two cards in this list in rebates, the card offers one of the highest instant discounts you can receive at the counter; At 6%, this card offers a high credit card discount. If you’d factor in the standard 10% site discounts you’ll normally get at Shell stations, this card has the one of the highest on-site discount of 16%. This means there’s less pressure to fuss over whether your monthly spending has met their tiered rebate requirements, even if there is a rebate.
Best for total savings
UOB One Card
- At SPC Stations, up to 24% savings on fuel purchases
- At Shell Stations, up to 20.8% savings on fuel purchases
There is a lot of hoops to jump through for this one. But if you don’t mind the hoops, the UOB One Card offers quite a sweet deal. Basically, this is how that additional 5% cash rebate is counted in:
You charge a minimum of $2,000 consistently each month to the UOB One card using 3 or more purchases. Then, UOB will give you a cash rebate of $300 at the end of a quarter. $300 is 5% of the total of the $6,000 spent at the end of 3 months (a quarter). Otherwise, even if you only spent $500 or $1,000 per month, you’ll get a 3.33% of your total quarter spend with the same conditions. Which is still quite substantial lah.
You can also get an extra 7% SMART$ rebates to offset your next petrol bill. If not, UOB’s list of SMART$ merchants is also pretty comprehensive, spanning between all categories of products such as F&B, electronics, groceries, clothes,etc. So you don’t have to worry about not having a use for the extra SMART$ rebates earned.
Citi Cash Back Card
- Get S$120 Cashback
- Up to 20.88% discount at Esso stations: 5% Esso site discount + 5% Smiles card discount + 4% Citi Card discount + 8% Citi Cash Back Card cash back* (applies after Esso discount)
- Up to 20.88% discount at Shell stations: 5% Shell site discount + 5% Shell Escape discount + 4% Citi Card discount + 8% Citi Cash Back Card cash back* (applies after Shell discount)
- 8% cash back is valid with a minimum retail spend of $888/statement month on the Citi Cash Back Card
If you can charge a minimum of $888 each month to your card to get the full discount, this card may offer you the highest savings in Shell petrol. The 8% card rebate is capped at $25 for each category of purchase, so so long as you do not charge more than $312.50 to this card on fuel alone, you’re not wasting the money you’re spending on your petrol.
Other Cards with Shell Discounts
Of course, besides the above mentioned credit cards, there are other cards from the same banks that offer discounts for Shell petrol too. If you’re curious, you might want to check out other cards from Citibank, HSBC, and UOB. Especially if you’re looking for a card to take advantage of your fuel spending for benefits like dining privileges or air miles. Find the best credit card in Singapore for your lifestyle choices today.
Do you pump petrol at Shell? Do you have any other tips and tricks we might have missed out? Let us know.
Keep updated with all the news!
Get the latest personal finance tips and tricks delivered to your inbox!
We promise never to spam you!
Tags: Credit Cards